slide show

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Grace

Everything is grace!

Last month Novices Batch 77, to which I belong, had a reunion at Tambuli Resort to celebrate its Pearl Jubilee of Salesian life. After a year under my novice master, Fr. Alfred Cogliandro SDB, I made my first profession last April 1, 1987 with 22 others in Don Bosco Seminary College in Canlubang.

Actually I commemorated two other anniversaries last year. Last year was thus memorable for me – a whole year marked by gratitude to the Lord. Last December 6, I reached 20 years of my priesthood. And last 8 March I turned 50 years old. In both occasions my Nanay came all the way from Manila to Cebu.

In those three occasions I shared with the people this single message: Fidelity. If ever I am still around as a religious after 30 years or as a priest after 20 years, it’s only because of fidelity. But I am speaking of God’s fidelity. I am not speaking of my fidelity because God knows I had not been faithful all the time. There were moments of weakness and even sin in the past years. But God forgave me every time. I was ashamed of my mistakes but I was grateful and happy for every chance God gave. I can only sing with Mary her Magnificat. “My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord (not mine) for He has looked upon His servant in his lowliness (weakness and sinfulness).”

In the end after all those years, as one would look back he can admit to himself only one truth: It’s all God’s grace. I did nothing except maybe to say “yes”. But God did everything. It is all His work. I claim nothing of it. I repeat. It is all God’s grace.

1 Corinthians 4:7 “What do you have that you did not receive from God?”

No comments: