slide show

Thursday, January 3, 2008

Service

HOLY SERVANT

“You know that among the pagans their so-called rulers lord it over them and their great men make their authority felt. This is not to happen among you. No; anyone who wants to become great among you must be your servant, and anyone who wants to be the first among you must be the slave of all.”

Mark 10:42-44.

When I was assigned as Catechist at DBTC as expected my office was “tambayan” of students during recess. As a result my office became also one of if not the dirtiest at school. The janitor cleaned it only once a week and so everyday I had to tidy it myself. Usually I only had to sweep the floor and dust but when it was raining I had to mop off too the muddy footprints. In one of those days, one teacher saw me and said: “Father, why are you doing this? It’s so shameful! You are a priest.” Puzzled, I asked myself: “Why? Did I do anything wrong?”

I did nothing wrong and so I had nothing to be ashamed of. But why is it some of us think that if we already hold some authority we cannot any more do work because others will be working for us? I think it was not correct because as far as I can remember Jesus even recommended service to would-be-leaders.

I remember a priest who always impressed me in the past every time we meet. He was then the rector of one house. But almost at the end of the meal he would stand up to collect the plates of everyone. This happens especially on days when his community had guests at table. I said this is a leader after the pattern proposed by Christ.

When I myself became a rector, shamefully I acted or at least thought differently from this model rector. I said: Now I am rector they must ask me permission. Now I am rector they must pray everyday for my intentions. No, I did not think of going to the places where the confreres worked to ask them how they were doing. I thought more of others working for me than me working for them. I had the leadership of this world. Fortunately I am ending my third term and I have been learning from my mistakes.

To be the first in heaven one must the least on earth. To lead or better still to be holy one must be a servant of all.

In imitation of Christ and in his name, authority in the Congregation is exercised according to the spirit of Don Bosco as a service to brothers for discerning and fulfilling the Father’s will.

This service is directed to fostering charity, coordinating the efforts of all, animating, orienting, making decisions, giving corrections, so that our mission may be accomplished.

C121

No comments: